Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Remembering Halloween

Spiderman with the Harry Potter Beetlejuice Fairy

My sister and I were talking about Halloween costumes and festivities when we were kids. We are both disappointed that we are seeing less and less creative and recycled costumes these days. Our favorite part of the year was imagining and designing our costumes. We had this trunk in the attic of costume parts. It was a literal treasure chest of old clothes, costumes my mom wore as a girl, weird hats, my dad's cap and gown from high school, an old US Navy uniform, my Grandma's prom dress all mixed in with old wigs, costume jewelry, and other odds and ends... everything a kid would need to imagine a character for Halloween. This Halloween trunk was the best! We would dig inside and pull out one or two pieces and present our ideas to the matriarchs of our family. They would add the necessary makeup and re-purposed props to make our designs a reality. One year, I was "Ms Kitty" from "Gunsmoke" (don't ask). The magic trunk produced an old floor length red skirt with ruffle under skirt and a big purple feather for my hair. My mom added a purple bustier from her unmentionables drawer (worn over a sweatshirt to keep me modest and warm). Then all I needed was make-up and a beauty mark. The next year my cousin Jen was a gypsy. The red skirt came back out from the depths of the trunk along with various scarves and a ruffle shirt.

We both miss the Halloween trunk and have vowed to rekindle this tradition with our children and grandchildren. My daughter is five and we have been imagining characters together for the last two years. Each costume has been constructed from things we already own and a little imagination. Her costume at three years old was one of my favorites. She was a Harry Potter, Beetlejuice Fairy... all of her favorite things at once. Last year she was a Kitty Cat Fairy Viking. This year she is planning on wearing an outfit I bought her on a trip to India. She is preparing to be an Indian princess. We've had a lot of fun exploring the Indian culture online and she has already picked out the colors of her Bindi (blue center with gold ring around the outside.)

Make your Halloween a green Halloween. Try making costumes from items lying around the house. Take a trip to the local thrift store and find a treasure trove of ideas using vintage clothes and weird bobbles. If you are not gifted in the way of craftiness and MUST buy a ready made costume, buy a good quality one and save it to possibly use again or reinvent.

*The queen of craft and home, Martha Stewart, has some great ideas on her site for costumes. Her team has come up with a wide range of ideas from super simple no sew costumes (I was the Tulle Ghost last year. I used old sheer curtains on their way to a thrift store instead of Tulle) to more complex crafted identities.

*Thedailygreen.com has some creative ideas to turn your recycling bin refuse into creative characters. I love the little boy's Samurai costume.

If you know of some more great "home made" costume sites please leave their address as a comment.  Only 10 more days to prepare :)  Happy Halloween everyone.

-Shannon Schmalfeldt

3 comments:

Nichoel Schmalfeldt said...

I remember racing up the attic stairs (holding Shannon back so that I could get to the trunk first) and flinging open the lid with the hopes that I had grown enough since the previous year that I would finally fit into the Cracker Jack (navy unifrom) costume. I wanted so badly to take my favorite stuffed animal (a white poodle) trick or treating with me as Jack's dog Bingo (yep, that was his name Oh!). During those years of anxiously waiting to graduate to the next size, I could never understand why our mother always wanted us to be fairies with the wings and those little tutus. The year I was finally big enough to be Cracker Jack was bittersweet... that was also the year I no longer fit into the Pocahontas dress. Looking back, now I understand... mom knew that one day we would be too big for Jack as well. Hmmm, I wonder if I can get my niece to keep her fairy wings for a few more years.

Anonymous said...

http://www.mahalo.com/How_to_Make_Your_Own_Halloween_Costumes

Here's a great site with DIY costume ideas.

Happy Halloween,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Nice photo..! I think Halloween is the most favorite holiday for many children.